Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fun with Polyvore

You know about Polyvore, right? It's the site that allows you to pull images (and item information) from almost any website and use them to create your very own idea board ... or inspiration board ... or vignette. I've pulled stuff together before, but I've never spent time arranging things. Until recently.

I had so much fun making little collages that I really couldn't stop. I ended up using things that I would most likely never choose in real life, but that's the fun of it.

Here's what I call "Dog on White Couch:"



And here's what I call "Dog on Red Couch:"




It's so easy to switch things out. It totally reminds me of my dollhouse days -- my favorite thing to do was to redecorate the rooms, but it got so messy. This is all of the fun, with zero mess.

I was having such a good time with patterns that things got a little out of control. I decided this was the perfect medium to test the Bob Dylan poster that I've been secretly coveting.



Here it is again with a red dhurrie.



I had a couple of other rugs lined up, but grrrrr, I closed the window by accident and hadn't been saving. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

Are you wondering what is up with the Bob and Joan poster? I don't know! I've been drawn to hippy/bohemian spaces lately. Rooms like this one



and tapestries like this one

 
Les Indiennes Tree of Life


It may seem like this is dorm room taste, but there's one thing that keeps it from acquiring that label: $$$. That Bob and Joan poster I've been eyeing is a rare edition and goes for about $15,000.

 

I'm sure I could find a print somewhere, but quite honestly, I don't think it's a good thing to spend even $50 on this whim. The good news is, I think my need to use the poster has been satisfied for now. Thanks, Polyvore, for helping me work through my hippy decor craving!

1 comment:

C. A. Farrell said...

You mentioned the mess involved with redecorating a dollhouse (trust me I understand) but the other side of that is the expense involved in decor for a miniature dwelling. Thanks to Polyvore I no longer have to explain the "scale model" in my living room. Such a relief to my pride and wallet.