Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sundays of Yore: 1929 Vitrolite Kitchen

Do you ever find yourself lost in someone else's Flickr photostream? Well, that's what happened to me when I discovered American Vintage Home. It's an amazing collection of photos and drawings from the home magazines of decades past. I am not exaggerating when I say I spent hours looking at these pictures.

I think it's so cool to see what people's homes looked like 100 years ago. What has changed? What has stayed the same? I'm not able to condense my excitement for these pictures into just one post, so I've decided to make it a weekly installment. Welcome to Filed For Later's Sundays of Yore.



This is a Vitrolite ad from 1929. I can't lie - I had no idea what Vitrolite was until I googled it. It's an opaque pigmented glass that was used for internal and external tiling from the 1920s to the 1950s. It hasn't been manufactured in the U.S. since 1947. In the drawing above, I'm guessing the floors are Vitrolite, and maybe the wall tiles, too?

This kitchen is small, yet it looks practical and functional. I love the pattern on the floor. I think it would make a stunning rug!

2 comments:

cotedetexas said...

I think that's a darling kitchen! so many vintage photos of kitchens are fugly.

glad you enjoyed our Christmas. it IS so much fun!!!! haha

Joni

Kirsten Krason said...

What a fun image.